F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
Hello all,
I’ve mentioned in other posts that our dream was taking our first major trip and the destination would be Alaska. There are/were a lot of things had to line up to do this as I have a 92 yr old mother we care for and a daughter that was in pretty bad shape (physically and financially). end of last year. So we have my brothers friend taking care of my mother and we providing heath insurance for my daughter and a bit of determined love from us we got her to the doctors and now she is on the road to recovery.

Over the last couple months I’ve been getting the RV fixed up for the trip. Changed out house batteries, tuneup/oil change on the generator and RV. Getting tires rotated and checking all systems I can think of. Bought a Jeep for flat towing instead of a dolly and set up the tow system. Tested on a short trip to Fl and all good.
We have updated passports in case of emergency and we have to fly home, we’ve ordered updated Canada insurance cards for the RV and Jeep through our insurance company.

If there is anything I should check, please let me know.

We’re taking 2 months for the trip with our first couple days being long driving days since we’ve taken the first part of the route many times, then we will slow down. Our plan is to cross the boarder at Carway AB unless someone might think another spot is better/easier?

We’re kind of running “Nomad” style. Meaning we’re not sure where we’re going until we get there. We do have a couple spots as a destination “Dawson City” and “Whittier Ak”. Anything in between we will just go with the flow.

Attached is our general path we plan to follow unless suggestions here or on the road changes our mind.

We’re getting pretty excited now.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
WOW----Just wow! I totally envy you (well, your trip, that is :) )
Best of luck, and have a terrific & safe trip!

Hello all,
I’ve mentioned in other posts that our dream was taking our first major trip and the destination would be Alaska. There are/were a lot of things had to line up to do this as I have a 92 yr old mother we care for and a daughter that was in pretty bad shape (physically and financially). end of last year. So we have my brothers friend taking care of my mother and we providing heath insurance for my daughter and a bit of determined love from us we got her to the doctors and now she is on the road to recovery.

Over the last couple months I’ve been getting the RV fixed up for the trip. Changed out house batteries, tuneup/oil change on the generator and RV. Getting tires rotated and checking all systems I can think of. Bought a Jeep for flat towing instead of a dolly and set up the tow system. Tested on a short trip to Fl and all good.
We have updated passports in case of emergency and we have to fly home, we’ve ordered updated Canada insurance cards for the RV and Jeep through our insurance company.

We’re taking 2 months for the trip with our first couple days being long driving days since we’ve taken the first part of the route many times, then we will slow down. Our plan is to cross the boarder at Carway AB unless someone might think another spot is better/easier?

We’re kind of running “Nomad” style. Meaning we’re not sure where we’re going until we get there. We do have a couple spots as a destination “Dawson City” and “Whittier Ak”. Anything in between we will just go with the flow.

Attached is our general path we plan to follow unless suggestions here or on the road changes our mind.

Your choice of crossing the Canadian Border at Carway is kinda out of the way unless you plan to visit Glacier National Park. If that isn't your plan then crossing at Coutts/Sweet Grass is a much better choice. You will cross using I-15 (US side) which turns into Highway 4 (Canadian side) which is a more direct route (and better road) to Edmonton. Further, the Carway crossing is not open 24 hours where as Coutts is and you will find the highways around Carway winding and narrow.

Having said that, a visit to Glacier would be well worth the side trip if you are interested. There is a KOA at St Mary that is quite nice and taking your Jeep across The Going to the Sun road to Apgar and back would be memorable. The scenery is spectacular!

Safe Travels

Darrell

Your choice of crossing the Canadian Border at Carway is kinda out of the way unless you plan to visit Glacier National Park. If that isn't your plan then crossing at Coutts/Sweet Grass is a much better choice. You will cross using I-15 (US side) which turns into Highway 4 (Canadian side) which is a more direct route (and better road) to Edmonton. Further, the Carway crossing is not open 24 hours where as Coutts is and you will find the highways around Carway winding and narrow.

Having said that, a visit to Glacier would be well worth the side trip if you are interested. There is a KOA at St Mary that is quite nice and taking your Jeep across The Going to the Sun road to Apgar and back would be memorable. The scenery is spectacular!

Safe Travels

Darrell
Thank you,
My first pick was Coutts, but then thought about going to Glacier. Appreciate the info. I need to lookup the Going to the Sun road. Sounds interesting.

Incredible journey @BGMAC, and one that you'll remember forever, I'm sure. Have fun, be safe, and good luck!

Hello all,

What a great trip. I can only hope I can talk my bride into the same destination. Glacier is a week long adventure by itself. GTTS highway is spectacular as is everything else in that Park. If time does not allow you to visit on the way up, might consider visiting on the way back. Or, make it next year.

What a great trip. I can only hope I can talk my bride into the same destination. Glacier is a week long adventure by itself. GTTS highway is spectacular as is everything else in that Park. If time does not allow you to visit on the way up, might consider visiting on the way back. Or, make it next year.
Maybe visit on the way up and back. 😁

There are many places you do need to visit several times to get it all in. That just makes for better travel.

Definitely check out Gacier NP if you haven’t been there. Carway is one of the nine places I’ve driven into or out of Canada from. It was one of the easier crossings, but that was nine years ago, so YMMV.

Also, there are tons of cool places to check out along the way. We did the drive in September 2016, so you won’t get all the prime berry foraging (the blueberry picking were epic, and we found cranberries and others as well).

Places that stand out in my memory are Liard Hot Springs, Signpost Forest (Watson Lake, YT), Kluane National Park, Skagway, the beaver statue (Beaverlodge, AB), and of course every Tim Horton’s we drove by.

Also, there are tons of cool places to check out along the way. We did the drive in September 2016, so you won’t get all the prime berry foraging (the blueberry picking were epic, and we found cranberries and others as well).

Places that stand out in my memory are Liard Hot Springs, Signpost Forest (Watson Lake, YT), Kluane National Park, Skagway, the beaver statue (Beaverlodge, AB), and of course every Tim Horton’s we drove by.
Thank you. We will be checking out Glacer, and some of the others you mentioned. 👍

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back