Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DanBeaver

RVF Newbee
I'm interested in hearing which WiFi options have worked the best for the members of this forum. My daughter and I are renovating a 2005 Thomas School bus and will be spending significant time on the road, covering a variety of auto races. We don't know how often we will have connectivity options at the race tracks, so have to expect that a lot of time we will be boondocking.

Has anyone had success with cell phone boosters?
Portable satelittes?
Other?

I appreciate any insight.

Would suggest you go to the Mobile Internet Resource Center (on line). The free section is sufficient to attain a basic understanding of what is available. All sorts of options are available.
I am a full timer that works from my RV. I tried cell phone boosters and was disappointed.
When we were in the process of selling our house, we stayed at the Charlotte Motor Speedway camping grounds for a month or two. The campground WiFi was horrible with very few people there. I can't imagine what it would be like during an event.
I eventually went with a cellular modem/router from Peplink. The device I use is favored by first responders, the transportation industry, is used by boaters & many on this forum. I have been very pleased with it over the last two years.
I am in the process of evaluating a Starlink satellite setup for inclusion in the LAN on my RV. When everything is complete; I will have the ability to receive internet signals via WiFi (park provided), cellular, Starlink satellite & cable (doubt availability if ever).
I assume you bus conversion will be in a metal shell. You will most likely need an external antennae. If internet connectivity is important to you, be prepared to invest a few dollars in equipment & service.
Good luck & safe travels.

I'm using a Peplink 5G Cat 20 cellular router. I have an AT&T and T-Mobile sim cards with 100Gig of data for $50/mo each. If one doesn't work the Peplink will fail over to the other one. My wife does medical coding for a hospital and I sell commercial trucks and need email. With both of us working we've never come close to running out of data and the Peplink wi-fi is rock solid 99% of the time. I am still just using the paddle antennas even though I have an external 7in 1 antenna for the roof of my motorhome. I just haven't needed it yet so it's still in the box. If you don't know about Peplink I would go to YouTube. There are hundreds of videos from RV "Experts" that will walk you through what you need. Mobile Must Haves has some good videos. I bought my stuff from the 5G Store. Great price and great service. Good luck!

Ditto Pepwave and 5GStore. I just added Starlink to a dual sim pepwave router running Verizon and Att sims together in load balance mode. The Starlink has been a solid add and I plan to reduce my 200G cellular plans down to 50G or so as backup for Starlink and to have internet to use while traveling down the road. Starlink will only be deployed on my rig when sitting still.

I have Calyx and they are a non-profit that has been in business since 2016 providing affordable internet. It cost me 41.00 a month (500 a year) for a truly unlimited T-Mobile 5G M2000 hotspot. I have put over 800 gigs in one month and still could stream HD TV.

Latest resources

Back