Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
I just completed a trip to Florida flat towing my 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I did not have any problems, but here is what I think about vs dolly and trailer. Mind you this is really about just towing mostly and what I experienced using my 2016 Georgetown “gasser”

FLAT TOW: Driving seems a little less control. By that I mean I’m working a little “very little” hard staying straight. I account that to the front tires of the Jeep moving around a little to stay in track of the Rv. I also notice my mileage dropped. This is probably due to the front and rear axles and transfer case rotating causing some drag.
DOLLY: I used a dolly on my wife’s Rouge which is about the same weight of the Jeep. Towed very well and steady. Mileage was acceptable.

TRAILER: probably the best of all three. Towed very well best gas mileage, better breaking with the electric brakes, and you can backup.

As far as pricing goes;
The dolly would be the cheapest. You can buy new for $1100-$1300, or used for $500-$700 for a good one. You may have issues finding a place for it when you stop. Some places may require you to put it in a storage spot. I haven’t run into that yet.

The trailer and Flat Tow are pretty close if you’re buying new. I’m going off of memory here so I may be off on Flat Towing. A new tow bar with the adapters could be $1500 and up. The tow buddy braking system is around $1500 new, then cables and wiring about $150-$200. So new it would be about $3200 or more.

Trailers price range is all over the place, 18ft car trailer with steal floor I found for $3000. Pretty much like the one I have but bought new for $1500 back in the day. Big problem is where do you put it when your in your spot?

For now I’ll flat tow. Easier management when you get to your campsite. But for best towing I like the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_2806.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_2806.HEIC.jpeg
    822.5 KB · Views: 4
I've tried all three and flat towing is first, dolly towing second and trailer towing is a real pain since I'm driving a 44-foot motorhome.

I just completed a trip to Florida flat towing my 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I did not have any problems, but here is what I think about vs dolly and trailer. Mind you this is really about just towing mostly and what I experienced using my 2016 Georgetown “gasser”

FLAT TOW: Driving seems a little less control. By that I mean I’m working a little “very little” hard staying straight. I account that to the front tires of the Jeep moving around a little to stay in track of the Rv. I also notice my mileage dropped. This is probably due to the front and rear axles and transfer case rotating causing some drag.
DOLLY: I used a dolly on my wife’s Rouge which is about the same weight of the Jeep. Towed very well and steady. Mileage was acceptable.

TRAILER: probably the best of all three. Towed very well best gas mileage, better breaking with the electric brakes, and you can backup.

As far as pricing goes;
The dolly would be the cheapest. You can buy new for $1100-$1300, or used for $500-$700 for a good one. You may have issues finding a place for it when you stop. Some places may require you to put it in a storage spot. I haven’t run into that yet.

The trailer and Flat Tow are pretty close if you’re buying new. I’m going off of memory here so I may be off on Flat Towing. A new tow bar with the adapters could be $1500 and up. The tow buddy braking system is around $1500 new, then cables and wiring about $150-$200. So new it would be about $3200 or more.

Trailers price range is all over the place, 18ft car trailer with steal floor I found for $3000. Pretty much like the one I have but bought new for $1500 back in the day. Big problem is where do you put it when your in your spot?

For now I’ll flat tow. Easier management when you get to your campsite. But for best towing I like the trailer.
We have dollied and flat towed. Never trailered. Flat tow is our choice hands down. I have never worried about how the Jeeps have tracked behind the coach. I doubt if there is any excessive tire wear happening. Gas mileage driving the coach towing or not has never been a concern. I have always considered it a cost of having fun. As far a having to reverse, we can disconnect the Jeep in less than 30 seconds if we have to. The dolly was serious pain in the butt. I could never reverse well using the dolly. If I had to, I could, but since the car was not very visible in my mirrors, it wasn't a pleasant experience. We have dollied a Chev Cavalier and towed an XJ, a TJ and now a JK. All combined over the years in excess of 100,000 miles.

Darrell
Darrell

Last edited:
We have dollied and flat towed. Never trailered. Flat tow is our choice hands down. I have never worried about how the Jeeps have tracked behind the coach. I doubt if there is any excessive tire wear happening. Gas mileage driving the coach towing or not has never been a concern. I have always considered it a cost of having fun. As far a having to reverse, we can disconnect the Jeep in less than 30 seconds if we have to. The dolly was serious pain in the butt. I could reverse well using the dolly. If I had to, I could but, since the car was not very visible in my mirrors, it wasn't a pleasant experience. We have dollied a Chev Cavalier and towed an XJ, a TJ and now a JK. All combined over the years in excess of 100,000 miles.

Darrell
Darrell
I agree. I’m flat towing as we speak and will continue to do so. Just identifying the differences. I prefer the feel and milage and usability of a trailer while traveling, but dealing with the trailer when you arrive is a hassle. The simplicity of flat tow does make it a better choice.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back