Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
What provides the functionality of a BIM in the 2022 LADP and other coaches that have SIlverleaf RVC. It seems that the precision circuits 195 is not used as it was in my 2019 DSDP. I assume this is a silverleaf module, but would like confirmation.

I am in the process of replacing batteries in my coach with Lithium, but need to resolve the circuit protection for the alternator.

Li-BIM 225A?? May want to ask Precision Circuits or SES that does the Lithium work for Newmar. It’s timer based.

That’s what I expected to find. It appears that the Silverleaf handles the bim functions using solenoids and outputs, and there is no BIM.

I think an email to silver leaf is required.

I think you could build and program your own. I think it’s just a timer based relay and it’s the single downside of Lithium right now. You’ll get to your CG and batteries will not be at 100% SOC. I’d rather have it programmed as a limiter on alternator use but also know when batteries are at 100% SOC. Or an override option to bypass the timer so again I can arrive with 100% SOC.

Interested in what you find.

I am thinking that I will bypass the timer and use a dc to dc charger to limit the amp pull.

I would think that 30amp continuous max load would give a good charge and not stress the alternator too much. Thoughts?

If I were to put an alternator protection circuit, I would use a DC to DC converter.

I would size it for
1) the voltage the battery manufacturer calls for
2) the current the alternator was designed to produce on a 100 percent duty cycle minus vehicle loading.

As a safety precaution I would time charging to start after the chassis batteries were topped back up after starting.

Such a system would be KISS reliable! And likely available from solar providers like what Neal used for his system!

Wish it was like a solar charge controller which knows your SOC. Almost makes you think you could use a solar charge controller to manage the current flow as I believe it’s the same concept. Just more expensive. My MPPt allows max current flow setting aka charge rate and knows SOC.

Wish it was like a solar charge controller which knows your SOC. Almost makes you think you could use a solar charge controller to manage the current flow as I believe it’s the same concept. Just more expensive. My MPPt allows max current flow setting aka charge rate and knows SOC.
With lithium, the BMS does it all! It is recommended by BMS manufacturers to use a CCCV power supply. That is what quality MPPT solar controllers provide on the lithium setting.

@redbaron I just email you a Silverleaf document describing the charge bridge capability, but I agree with others that the capability would be replaced with a DC-to-DC converter. I’m going to upgrade my batteries in the next year or so, so I’m interested in what you need to purchase and install other than the batteries. I assume you have the Xantrex inverter/charge and you will be reconfiguring it accordingly.

I Iike the idea of a DC to DC charger but it eliminates the Boost feature….

Latest resources

Back