Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Deploying jacks w/out dumping air bags (not related to slide operation)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
All the tires I've changed, I always put the jack under the axle, never have I jacked one up from the frame. Especially a loaded rig. 🤷‍♂️
The Dutch Star has independent front suspension and the front cannot be lifted except from under a frame point.

I have had the unfortunate experience of being towed long distances twice. Both times, luckily, by extremely experienced tow people who had towed literally hundreds of coaches like mine. The front of the coach was lifted way off the ground by lifting under the frame and then the wheels were set back down on the truck lift and secured. Neither time were the air bags dumped prior to lifting. As I mentioned, these guys had towed hundreds & hundreds of coaches like mine over the years. Never seemed to worry about the air bags being dumped beforehand.

The Dutch Star has independent front suspension and the front cannot be lifted except from under a frame point.
My Tiffin Phaeton also has independent front suspension. I place the jack directly under the ball joint at the end of the A arm under the spindle. The jack is lifting the ONE wheel rather than the entire corner of the coach. I DO put the front leveling jacks down solid in case the jack fails.

My Tiffin Phaeton also has independent front suspension. I place the jack directly under the ball joint at the end of the A arm under the spindle. The jack is lifting the ONE wheel rather than the entire corner of the coach. I DO put the front leveling jacks down solid in case the jack fails.
There is a warning on both sides of my front suspension saying not to lift from those areas.

There is a warning on both sides of my front suspension saying not to lift from those areas.
They may do that to keep someone from improperly placing a jack on the A-frame, that would destroy it. But lifting from the ball joint location is no different than the Coach sitting on the road.
I'm not trying to sharp shoot your post, just pointing out what works. When I got steering tires last time I put 2 of my 3" pads under the front Leveling jacks and lifted it for them they were like 👍 👌 LOL

When I got steering tires last time I put 2 of my 3" pads under the front Leveling jacks and lifted it for them they were like 👍 👌 LOL
And did you dump the air first? That’s what the OP is all about.

Ok, I just went through every post on this thread and there is not one post on a “popped” air bag. There are several post where air bags were abused with no problem. My unscientific assumption is that you can lower the jacks without dumping the air bags to stabilize the coach, just don’t go crazy and overextend the jacks. That’s my take but don’t take what I do as a best scenario.

Latest resources

Back