Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Adamatthebeach

RVF Regular
I’m in the process of shopping for diesel pusher for our up-and-coming retirement. We do like to do a fair amount of Boondocking and I’m having concerns that the power that a residential refrigerator uses will make that near impossible. Does anyone have any insight of how much battery power they use or what it takes to keep your system going as far as solar panels to maintain life with a residential refrigerator while off grid. Adam

answered this same question about a week or two ago.

I have used residential fridges for 8 or 9 years on solar and nothing else. More information can be found using the search features on this site.

I’m in the process of shopping for diesel pusher for our up-and-coming retirement. We do like to do a fair amount of Boondocking and I’m having concerns that the power that a residential refrigerator uses will make that near impossible. Does anyone have any insight of how much battery power they use or what it takes to keep your system going as far as solar panels to maintain life with a residential refrigerator while off grid. Adam
Without any meaningful solar, expect about 8 hours or less, factoring in the use of lights, water pump and any other 12v draws for a typical DP 400ah FLA battery set up. Fortunately, there's lots of people here smarter than me who could give you a more detailed answer.

I have been running a 23.5 cubic foot Kenmore Elite residential fridge and a 1.7 cubic foot fridge in the basement for five years with no issues when off grid. My total draw when sitting off grid with two fridges is 1 amp. This include the inverter converter running to provide 120 volt.

I have been running a 23.5 cubic foot Kenmore Elite residential fridge and a 1.7 cubic foot fridge in the basement for five years with no issues when off grid. My total draw when sitting off grid with two fridges is 1 amp. This include the inverter converter running to provide 120 volt.
Assume that's average over a period of time!

Without any meaningful solar, expect about 8 hours or less, factoring in the use of lights, water pump and any other 12v draws for a typical DP 400ah FLA battery set up. Fortunately, there's lots of people here smarter than me who could give you a more detailed answer.
So does this mean you barely make it through the night until daylight? What size battery bank do you have that is lasting eight or nine hours without solar?

Thank you, how many solar panels do you have to make this happen? and how big is your battery Bank?
I have more than is needed! That said, first I run a 5cf chest freezer. Also a 7.5cf refrigerator. These are not self defrosting. Every bell and whistle adds power requirements.

My system will run on 500w of solar. I feel more is better, but 500w is minimum. I buy used panels, not just because the price is right, but because most panels find there way into landfills because recycling is not practical.

The battery bank are two (2) 190 Northstar Blue+ carbon lead acid AGMS. that is more than is needed. However standard flooded lead has a short life, and standard AGM has a longer life but it is no comparison to the Northstar Blue. Once again the longer the life the leaner my contribution to the landfills, and the less my footprint to the health of our only planet!

I am not an advocate of lithium, as many here would tell you. When someone shows me that there is a recycling program for lithium, that technology is definitely not green in any sense of the word, as well as other glaring faults.

All electric Newmar Ventana.

8 GC2 flooded cell 225 AH batteries for a total of 900 AH. No solar.

Works fine for boondocking. Just run the generator in the morning and evening a few hours. In hot weather, running generator anyway all day for air conditioning so non-issue.

I have more than is needed! That said, first I run a 5cf chest freezer. Also a 7.5cf refrigerator. These are not self defrosting. Every bell and whistle adds power requirements.

My system will run on 500w of solar. I feel more is better, but 500w is minimum. I buy used panels, not just because the price is right, but because most panels find there way into landfills because recycling is not practical.

The battery bank are two (2) 190 Northstar Blue+ carbon lead acid AGMS. that is more than is needed. However standard flooded lead has a short life, and standard AGM has a longer life but it is no comparison to the Northstar Blue. Once again the longer the life the leaner my contribution to the landfills, and the less my footprint to the health of our only planet!

I am not an advocate of lithium, as many here would tell you. When someone shows me that there is a recycling program for lithium, that technology is definitely not green in any sense of the word, as well as other glaring faults.
Thank you for taking the time to give me all that helpful information. I agree too much is better than too little.

Latest resources

Back