• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Starlink musings

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
One thing I should mention is starlink support leaves a lot to be desired. I am now day 4 waiting for a response to an open ticket. That is too long in my view and I am sure they are inundated with questions and comments. It’s making me think Starlink might not be a viable option at least for me. We will give it another 24 hours.

Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

Well I’m using the $150 roaming plan with the $500 equipment fee. Absolutely no problems and easy setup

@BGMAC can you share some info about your setup. Do you have it on the roof or ?
Do you have to move it for example point it it north to get a good signal?

@BGMAC can you share some info about your setup. Do you have it on the roof or ?
Do you have to move it for example point it it north to get a good signal?
I have the router inside mounted in a cabinet running the cable down through a hole that was already there for house wiring to an outside storage cabinet. For setup I find the best spot that is open to the north. That may mean I set the dish in front of the motorhome, left side, right side, or in back. I generally put it on the ground. I do have a pole that I can mount to my hitch to raise it about 20ft in the air, but I haven’t needed it yet. Having up high or on the ground makes no difference on signal strength. Just visibility to the sky.
You may have some obstruction you can’t avoid and the system will still work if there aren’t to many.

trees can be anywhere so I elected not to do a permanent or semi permanent location.

Here is a picture of setup I have at my location now. Central Fl. 290mgbits

Attachments

• IMG_2788.jpeg
    IMG_2788.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
starlink called me this morning and they answered all my questions. They did say it’s best to aim the gen 3 dish pointing north for optimal performance even if it’s up on a roof.

I have a gen 3 dish that we are going to put up on the roof and today I watched a video from mobilemusthave and they say in the video it has to be facing north to work properly. So then I inquired about swapping it out for the in motion dish at starlink. I am waiting for starlink support to respond but I also found out you can’t use the roam plan with the in motion dish. You havre to use mobile priority or higher.

To use Starlink in motion, you need a Mobile Priority service plan, which is available for "Boats", "Mobility", and "Maritime". Standard and Priority service plans do not support in-motion use. If you're looking to exchange your dish for in-motion use, the Flat High Performance Starlink Kit is designed for this purpose and is recommended for use with the Mobile Priority service. Please note that the availability of the Flat High Performance Starlink Kit may vary by region.
I have the Starlink In-Motion/High-Performance antenna with the Mobile Regional Plan that costs $150.00 per month. Today I checked on my drive from Arizona to New Mexico and while driving down the road at 65 mph I have high speed Internet connection. I did a couple up speed tests along the way and my speeds were in the high 200+ Mbps down and 40-50 Mbps up. I made phone calls on my iPhone 14 Pro using WiFi without any issues.

You don't need the $250.00 per month Mobile Priority plan to have Starlink Internet while driving down the road with the In-Motion/High-Performance antenna... (y)

Latest resources

Back