• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bigblockyeti

RVF VIP
RV Make
Still shopping
I know there's been some discussion that I can't currently find but another coupe thoughts have me intrigued. Here in SC you have to pay property taxes before you can get your registration, you can get your title with proof the sales tax having been paid. Campers require (to the best of my knowledge) a camper specific tag and the renewal sticker only comes after the annual property taxes have been paid. I was looking in the $17K-23K range and in my county that would likely result in a $150-200 annual tax liability. I've also considered a slide-in truck bed camper on a decent sized utility trailer to make a hillbilly toy hauler of sorts. Some of these slide-in campers can shoot past $30K pretty quick but I have no idea how the annual property tax would work out as there's no registration required. I'm not actively looking for ways to increase my tax liability but I am trying to research what it should be when all my I's are dotted and T's are crossed. Another possiblity that had crossed my mind was buying a salvage campe in need of repair (yeah I know what I'd likely be getting into) for <10% of what would otherwise be a fair market value. This could allow me to drop the existing frame rails and above onto a heavier duty utility trailer (under 2500lbs alone) that would have only a "travel out of state" tag of $75 once ever. I don't know how I would then "register" the camper as it would be only 90% of a camper dropped onto a trailer that already has a tag.

The first question I'm guessing is something someone has actually run into before, the second is admittedly a bit of a stretch but with labor through the roof on everything, the likelyhood a TT could be totaled with only suspension damage seems to be increasing.

Any ideas on how either of these might play out?

Your talking a one off!!! No one can give you a solid answer!
My home grown tear drops are slide offs. They fit on a harbor freight tools trailer. As a utility trailer they get permanent tags. That is in az

I don't know how I would then "register" the camper as it would be only 90% of a camper dropped onto a trailer that already has a tag.

You wouldn't need to register the camper. You're just hauling it to [destination] "for a friend".

The "for a friend" is along the lines of what I was thinking. That being said, I'd rather not have that contested on the side of the road by a highway patrol officer who has a unique interpretation of the law they are tasked with enforcing. I did more digging and a slide-in camper, be it a $500 POS or a brand new $35K unit appears to need nothing as slide-ins aren't mentioned.
From the SC DMV site:

Registering a Camper or Trailer

Only certain types of campers or trailers that attach to vehicles must be registered and receive license plates. The SCDMV can issue the following items trailer plates:

• Camper trailers
  • Travel trailers
  • Horse trailers
  • Boat trailers
  • Utility trailer
  • Pole trailer
  • Farm trailer
  • Semitrailer

If you’re hauling a camper on a tagged utility trailer why would anyone stop you? a slide in camper is not a road type item like a trailer, auto, Rv etc. so registration would not be required.

Agree withBGMAC, who cares if a camper in the back of truck, your good to go. And to add to the confusion, I’ve never heard of the camper being required to be tagged unless it has two or four wheels, and it’s been towed behind a vehicle. With a license plate.

Agree withBGMAC, who cares if a camper in the back of truck, your good to go. And to add to the confusion, I’ve never heard of the camper being required to be tagged unless it has two or four wheels, and it’s been towed behind a vehicle. With a license plate.
Depends on state, some require a tag on slide ins.

In a utility trailer or the back of a truck, it's nothing more than cargo.

I did more research and SC in fact does not have slide-in campers registered in such a way that would necessitate property tax. They do have some weird stuff about mobile homes that would carry a tax liability but I didn't dive too into that as I'm well over 99% sure it would not be applicable. The salvaged camper shell sat atop a utility trailer appears much the same. This would be a long shot but could be worth it if and only if I could get the right TT with the right kind of damage for ~5% of what would otherwise be fair market value.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back