Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Anyone flat-towing a 2020 Lincoln Nautilus?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have been flat towing my 2020 Nautilus since January 2020. For two and a half years everything went well then one day my front wheels lock when I stopped at a signal light. Lincoln service had no idea why. Everything seemed fine for about six months then it happened again and has continued to happen frequently since. Has anyone ever had this problem?

@Dottiea we did not experience what you have explained. When you say "lock" is this as if the brakes were applied or the front wheels are locked in a turned state? Sorry you are having this issue.

As a FYI after eighteen months we did have Lincoln change out the lockout assembly where the metal bead is secured in that plastic pocket as it appeared the pocket was wearing down. I thought the job entailed simply replacing that small plastic cup that the cable passes through. No, it was a two-foot mechanism that extends to the transmission. Turned out to be a $600 job. The work was covered by the warranty. Thinking that I might have to replace the mechanism every eighteen months I immediately began looking for a Jeep Grand Cherokee to replace the Lincoln.

Best of luck in determining what is causing your front wheels to lockup.

We have towed our 20 nautilus for over 12k miles. No issues. I do try to leep it below 65 when towing, let it run at fuel stop if going more thsn 250 mi in a day and drive it when we get to our location. I assume you are following all tow procedures including the battery disconnect and cable under the dash. Sorry you are having this issue.

@Dottiea we did not experience what you have explained. When you say "lock" is this as if the brakes were applied or the front wheels are locked in a turned state? Sorry you are having this issue.

As a FYI after eighteen months we did have Lincoln change out the lockout assembly where the metal bead is secured in that plastic pocket as it appeared the pocket was wearing down. I thought the job entailed simply replacing that small plastic cup that the cable passes through. No, it was a two-foot mechanism that extends to the transmission. Turned out to be a $600 job. The work was covered by the warranty. Thinking that I might have to replace the mechanism every eighteen months I immediately began looking for a Jeep Grand Cherokee to replace the Lincoln.

My front wheels stop rotating and just slide when I start going. I a thinking it could be that plastic box is getting wear in the slot but I don't understand why it is just the front tires. If the cable is releasing why wouldn't the rear tires also stop rotating?

My front wheels stop rotating and just slide when I start going. I a thinking it could be that plastic box is getting wear in the slot but I don't understand why it is just the front tires. If the cable is releasing why wouldn't the rear tires also stop rotating?
Could you get under the dash and take a picture to share? In any case I would go to Lincoln.

It's a front wheel drive vehicle that has an active clutch pack or viscous coupling to occasionally direct barely enough power to the rear wheels to be called AWD. This marketing tactic is not exclusive to fords with $15K hood ornaments, more manufacturers do this than not.

Since the front wheels are the only ones truly acted upon by having the transmission in park, they're the ones locking up.

With @Bigblockyeti comments it might serve us well to see the condition of that plastic pocket that holds the cable and transmission out of PARK.
On my Lincoln the pocket began wearing at the very top then progressed clockwise.

Both front wheels stop turning and just slide. After some research I think the notch that the locking mechanism in the plastic box is worn, and the bead is slipping enough that it is going into park. I have an appointment with Lincoln service on July 5th. When I took it to them after the first time it happened, they had no idea what the problem was. I am giving them complete information on what is happening and having them check out that plastic box. After researching the problem, I believe that box is the problem and will have to be replaced every year or two.

Good luck with Lincoln! The cost of the R&R of the "Shifter Cable Lockout" part number KT4Z-70246-T was $111.13 the labor cost was 330.00. Fortunately it was covered under the warranty and no charge to me. Not wanting to push my luck I traded the car shortly after the repair.

You don't by chance have the paperwork from repair, I have broken the cable on my 2019Lincoln and the dealer çant find a part number for the cable.
I'm stuck can't tow until I have the cable replaced.
Gary [email protected]

Latest resources

Back