RV Make
Alpinelite
RV Length
26'
TOW/TOAD
2016 Ram 1500
Fulltimer
Yes
In the world of full-time off grid boondockers! We keep track of monthly bills, just as our, "really bad world" counter parts do (be clear I am talking about the world we left,not the people). As time goes by, we forget some of the progress we have made, as we modify to serve our needs. (Most of us are not the Journaling type!)

I went looking for one of my compadras yesterday and he brought up how much propane he used a month. His 14 gallon propane use per month compared to my 5 gallon bill for 3 months.

To be clear, we both use a different propane supply for our heaters, so they don't figure into the equation.

What is the difference in our operation? THE FRIDGE!!!
I always talk better cooling, but had forgotten the cost! This one item is almost 50 bucks at today's prices, the price of a used 250 watt solar panel. I just wonder how many people count the cost of resisting change!

So to be clear, you are using a residential and he is using an absorption type? You are always so clear.....lol

So to be clear, you are using a residential and he is using an absorption type? You are always so clear.....lol
Yes that is the way it is.

He just put in the one he has this year. Now he regrets not increasing his solar and going residential.

The saying is true! " live and learn " however that only applies to those with some form of common sense 😉

Then why not increase his solar and not use propane to run it? Still has the option if he needs it. Maybe not as efficient as yours but will run on AC power.

Then why not increase his solar and not use propane to run it? Still has the option if he needs it. Maybe not as efficient as yours but will run on AC power.
My history tells me the COP of an absorption fridge is so bad, that even my system would have trouble keeping up with it!!! This was proven when a friend didn't take my advice on the matter, and ultimately went back to using propane.

It could be done using solar concentration collection with oil. Then modifying the boiler. That is how solar adsorption fridges were made before low cost panels became a reality. PV panels, even newer ones are not efficient enough to use when converting voltage back to heat!

I confess I have a hobby! I love watching people experiment with things I know won't work! So I youtube binge at times. This last weekend I watched a prepper channel attempting to make a heater in case the power went down. He used the water element in sand trick as the heater, powered by two solar panels (roughly 2 meters of solar panel!!!), I think he said 250w. If you have tried to stay warm with a 1500 watt space heater you know the project was doomed. However, had he made a mat with water coils in sand or other mass, 2 square meters of heat collection would have given him warm feet with it's close to 2000w of heat, for considerably less money.

I grew up in Maine Kevin, I know a lot about needing raw btu's when the wind is blowing and it is minus 20 out. Electric heat was not even a consideration and I don't care about its 100% rating.....that was a boondoggle that swept thru in the 70's. Many got burned with that lesson. There is no substitute for lots of btu's. Burning wood, coal, oil, and gas are the only affordable way to make heat in extreme climates. Each one depending on a persons particular situation and ability. You can only insulate so much and then you create other issues in the building envelope. It is a catch 22 many times.

And as to the haha on the solar, put in enough solar then. I thought you lived where the sun shines eternally?

And as to the haha on the solar, put in enough solar then. I thought you lived where the sun shines eternally?
Oh! I laughed because using an already inefficient refrigerator will quickly pay for added panels, with a compressor refrigerator, not even a wash scenario, where the system he has would keep that compressor fridge fired up!

Latest resources

Back