Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
At my local Loves DEF is $4.28 at the pump. Peak at Amazon is $7.76 or so. About the same $7+ at Autozone.
Home Depot can be somewhat cheaper at $6.60 or so per gallon.
Why would I not buy from Loves??

A high volume named truck stop “should” have fresh DEF in my opinion. As long as fuel delivery drops in the proper storage tank there should not be a problem.
this saves me from going to a retailer or getting Amazon delivery where fluid has an uncertain storage time or environment conditions in storage. Then I have to store it until using fluid.
What am I missing ?

Last edited:
At my local Loves DEF is $4.28 at the pump. Peak at Amazon is $7.76 or so. About the same $7+ at Autozone.
Home Depot can be somewhat cheaper at $6.60 or so per gallon.
Why would I not buy from Loves??

A high volume named truck stop “should” have fresh DEF in my opinion. As long as fuel delivery drops in the proper storage tank there should not be a problem.
this saves me from goibg to retailer or getting Amazon delivery where fluid has an uncertain storage time or environment conditions in storage. Then I have to store it until using fluid.
What am I missing ?
Have you been told not to get gas at a station that the tanker was just leaving?

The logic behind that scenario is the flood of fuel into the storage tank just mixed up the sediment!!!

Does that apply with the DEF tank??? Don't know! You will have to do what you're comfortable with!!!

My problems with pump/bulk DEF resulted from buying at a low volume dealer. It was the same DEF Loves uses (Musket) but Loves is bound to be fresh enough since they are constantly selling to truckers. For my purposes I still buy box DEF because I can verify the age by the date code and I like that. If I knew I was going to be stopping at a Loves when I needed DEF I might buy it that way. As it is Im paying around $6.80/gal but at 300 mpg I really don’t mind the slightly higher expense and I also like the convenience of adding it at my leisure instead of moving the rig and hustling to do it quickly at a truck stop.

Last edited:
Have you been told not to get gas at a station that the tanker was just leaving?

The logic behind that scenario is the flood of fuel into the storage tank just mixed up the sediment!!!

Does that apply with the DEF tank??? Don't know! You will have to do what you're comfortable with!!!
I've also heard that for years. One day while fueling, I got into a conversation with a tanker driver while he was delivering and asked him about this. He said that any high-volume station never has that issue because deliveries are so frequent the tank never has time to settle. Made sense to me and I've never thought about it since.

I've also heard that for years. One day while fueling, I got into a conversation with a tanker driver while he was delivering and asked him about this. He said that any high-volume station never has that issue because deliveries are so frequent the tank never has time to settle. Made sense to me and I've never thought about it since.
Think that's optimistic!

Don't the pumps have filters?
Now that's a good question!

So everyone knows I don't need DEF! That means I only have an opinion, and we know about opinions right? So a couple examples that I base my opinion!

People have come to the consensus that old DEF has caused many a head problem. So new is big!!!
After a while, not every time, I allow my water tank in the rv to run dry! I do that for health concerns! I filter the water, but if nasties find their way in it's easier to sanitize a tank with little left in it!!!

If I were to fill the DEF tank from a box I would be assured that what went in was not mixed with the old!

Next!

I was young once! Hard to believe! Anyhow, I had a friend that drove a blue bomb.

He replaced the filter to keep his oil clean! So much for filters! I had the opportunity to ask him about changing that oil once. Bet you can guess what he said! His opinion was he was regularly adding oil so the car was always getting an oil change!!!

My question is, as time goes by, and the tank is being reguIarly topped off, how old is the DEF?

I don’t have a dog in this hunt as I do not need DEF. The pumps have filters. I would be more likely to buy bulk from a place like Loves, I see there maintenance crew often while traveling. I know they keep filters changed. Is it more likely to get bad DEF than fuel? We buy fuel bulk every day. I guess it’s worse for the engine if you get bad DEF than fuel?

I have only bought "canned" def as a occasional convenience or if I am going to overnight at a Walmart, I will purchase DEF if needed. I prefer truck stop DEF and I mean truck stop, not the local station. It is clearly fresh as the semi's are endlessly cycling the product. I have never found the need to carry any in the mh.

The where to buy DEF is a religious cult of opinion and to each their own. Buy it where you want but my personal opinion, of course I'll throw it in, helloooo, is that this DEF thing is overblown. It's not a complicated super magical formula that is brewed in a large steaming pot with large wooden spoons, okay, enough drama, point is, 99.99999% chance wherever you get it it's going to be just fine. I personally prefer the truck stop and will continue to use it for simplicity, turn-over, and knowing it didn't sit in a truck in high temps, on store shelves for unknown periods of time, or in any way could be tampered with. That's just my opinion. Fortunately I have a very low consumption and need to fill it infrequently and I also let it run down to below 1/2 tank, preferably 1/4 before filling it as I also have the opinion that constant topping off is bad and your net total age of the fluid just increases to years! But that's just me. And you know, my opinion :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back