Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Deploying jacks w/out dumping air bags (not related to slide operation)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I just spoke with someone here at Spartan who was having air issues and he overextended jack and “boom” … shock broke.
Shock broke, what about the air bag? ARD, would you ask the Spartan people what they think about deploying jacks without dumping air. The Freightliner answer didn’t make much sense to me.

ARD, would you ask the Spartan people what they think about deploying jacks without dumping air.
Will do.

Interested to hear more from mfg on this topic. The leveling jacks on the DS dump air when activated. This makes perfect sense to me. Have the coach on the stops allows the leveling system to use its full range to level coach.

Interested to hear more from mfg on this topic. The leveling jacks on the DS dump air when activated. This makes perfect sense to me. Have the coach on the stops allows the leveling system to use its full range to level coach.
Makes sense to me as well. I just want to know if it’s safe to extend jacks without dumping when there is a reason to do so. With my situation right now I want to keep air in the bags but tweak the coach level just a bit.

Honestly the jacks on the DS are more stabilizing jacks than leveling jacks. Any noticeable pitch will cause the jacks to hit limits and not level RV.

That said, I have seen the techs at Newmar lift all tires off ground with only the jacks, supported with jack stands for safety.

Spoke with Chris at Spartan and he does not think it is a good idea to extend jacks without dumping. You could pull the shock apart like what happened to a customer here (I saw the photo 😳) , or damage air bag. The danger is over extending. If you do try it, he said stop as soon as jack touches ground. Having said that, he said he would be afraid and would not do it as there is not much room for full airbag and shock.

Having seen a photo of the shock being pulled apart from overextending, I personally wouldn't risk it.

Note blocks under the jack pad, but wheels are off the ground, jacks only. I guess a question would be are the bags full or empty.

1714147806076.jpeg

As I ponder this thought of full bags and over extending the jacks, it may be the inflated air bags are pushing the axles down past limits and breaking things.

Hummm…

@J&JD I think the important part you explained above is you're in a contingency situation, not asking about normal ops? Just so others can know and learn so they don't try something maybe they shouldn't, just a thought.

Is your AA working and trustworthy enough that you could use it to manually level using the AA leveling controls? If you go back to Travel mode will AA set ride height properly? I guess I am not clear on what failure you're seeing with AA and what limitations you have with it in your current situation.

Latest resources

Back