Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mike_b42

RVF Regular
I brought my RV out of hibernation today and tried to fire up the generator. I had installed a cock into the gas line and run the generator dry in Fall. So, I opened the cock and tied to start the generator. The RV was hooked up to AC all winter, and the battery showed as full (100%, 14V). The electric starter of the generator turned it over a few times, then seemed to run out of power. the battery meter dropped to very low numbers, and shortly after the starter did not turn over the engine anymore. I then started the RV engine and tried again. The starter now worked fine and the generator started to run. After running fine for a couple of minutes, I turned it off again. The battery was still at 100%, 14V, and that did not change when I turned on multiple lights.

Could that be a battery issue? I thought that the battery would get charged when the RV is on AC. Or is that simply the Generator needing extra power to come out of hibernation?

I am not too concerned at the moment. Going on a trip, but we'll have electricity all the way, so we probably won't need the generator, but curious, nevertheless.

Even though you cared for your battery all winter, my guess is that it is dead. Charge it up as best you can - think overnight here. Then remove the battery and take it to any major auto parts store for a "load test" to see how many amps it can deliver. My prediction is not very many.

You measured 14 volts initially but that's only half of the power equation. Volts x amps = watts = power - the ability to perform useful work. With not enough amps out of your battery, its deader than Millard Fillmore.

Rick

Even though you cared for your battery all winter, my guess is that it is dead. Charge it up as best you can - think overnight here. Then remove the battery and take it to any major auto parts store for a "load test" to see how many amps it can deliver. My prediction is not very many.

You measured 14 volts initially but that's only half of the power equation. Volts x amps = watts = power - the ability to perform useful work. With not enough amps out of your battery, its deader than Millard Fillmore.

Rick
However, the one thing people fail to ask, or mention, is are we talking tender or standard converter. A tender disconnects when the batteries are full.

Why has been discussed in other threads, the short, is the plates get plated with antimony rendering the battery useless.

Latest resources

Back