Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How do i find the weight that i am actually towing with my 5th wheel hitch?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Radioherd

RVF Regular
Hey All,

We jumped on the cat scales yesterday and got the following readings:

Steer Axle: 5380
Drive Axle: 7460
Trailer Axle: 12760
Gross Weight: 25600

What i really need to know is how much weight is my hitch actually dealing with - i know its not as simple as adding the drive axle to the trailer axle (as that would include some weight from the back of the truck), so how do you actually calculate the weight of the 5th wheel only? Do you have to disconnect on the weigh scales?

At a CAT scale you can re weigh, within a certain time limit, for no additional charge I believe.

I have just dropped the jacks on the scale and taken the load off the hitch with the rear wheels of the truck off the scale. That way you can also determine the pin weight.

Ok thanks all - we are at 16480lbs

The GVWR of our rig is 16,995lbs - so basically we have just over 500lbs before we are at our safe limit yes?

Rated limit is meant to be interpreted as safe limit, but it‘s also important to consider it a legal limit in terms of liability and culpability. If over the legal limit and involved in an accident, one could easily imagine being cited, fined, and/or sued, as well as having possible problems with the insurance company. I’m sure there is a safety margin and your rig can probably handle more but to me it’s just not worth the risk.

Might look into a haul gauge.

I’ve been using for several months and it is 98% accurate when compared weighing on a scale.

Interesting little device. Read some reviews about it. The accuracy varied. It can be 10% off.
I used mostly the 20% rule. 20% of our total 5th wheel weight for the tongue weight.
It is not accurate, I know, but gave me a good idea.

Latest resources

Back