• Commercial/Vendors welcome

I can not lie!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
So prius hit the market in 97,in Japan! Tesla was formed in 03, I think first car in 13! First gas car for the mass market? Well the "T"! If going through old lithium banks could safely match battery cell capacity,,then maintenance could offer safe used lithium batteries! But it can't! No one can predict when cycle life will end on a battery cell, and time is not on your side!

I have considered how one might change new cell demand, by recycling!!! The more people like Rich, scavenging through old discarded battery packs will only serve to have the practice outlawed, due to an increase in lithium fires!(see cycle life above).

Further more, recovery of compounds is being done, producing what they are calling black gold, I think? Sound familiar? However that is where the reporting stops!!! I have not heard about a new cell manufacturer seeking out this resource to use in their production process!!!

As long as it costs to dump, or dispose of the old packs, I fail to understand how Surplus markets will change lithium demand, only delay the guaranteed outcome!!! Used is another thing!!! Will people try to unload their toy before the batteries fail??? As people start learning the truth about this follie, it may be a race for those that had that in mind, to sneak under that line!!!

You can fudge any stat you want! The first big question is. How long have they been making cars in the three form factors.

To be honest! And when agendas are present, people tend to be liars! The only way the stats can be "honest" is to consider only year models for cars only as far back as pluggable cars have been selling! Then you would have a more representative result.

For an example a Toyota camery hybrid has an estimated 80k lifetime for the battery pack.

ICE Engine fires are more prevalent on engines without EFI fitted.

And pluggable electric is just barely getting old enough that people may start pushing the batteries past useful life limits.

Further, if we consider cars on the road the numbers are against ICE and hybrids. Coupled with vehicles with lots of miles, Coupled with maintenance records In a lousy economy will put older cars at higher risk!

I don't like people who have an agenda!!! Honest reporting is not a thing anymore, If it ever was! For that reason I consider motive, and obviously the current regime is pushing there investment in lithium!!!
I have a hard time believing anything that comes out of the current regime. Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

I have considered how one might change new cell demand, by recycling!!! The more people like Rich, scavenging through old discarded battery packs will only serve to have the practice outlawed, due to an increase in lithium fires!
Not my practice at all and all my projects are top quality and perfectly safe due to testing, proper balancing, and monitoring, but I’m certain its not worth going in to detail and I really don’t want to reveal my sources and methods anyway. But thanks for your concern.

Wow! Turned into more work than planned! I thought I wound the inverter transformer so I could use the inverter on 12,24,or 48 volts, by changing the way I connected the coils.
Now that I'm in the middle of the project I remember I didn't have space for the 48volt coil set. I do have an old inverter that the transformer is wired the same, but I had to spend the morning tuning it to match the one in use on the inverter I will be using.

Lucky for me I only had to add a couple turns on the high side, and take a few from the low side. Other way around the transformer would have had to be replaced, or the BMS would have to be replaced to change the battery to 24 volts.

Not up and running yet, but closer!!!

Latest resources

Back