Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Not too pricey with EFI & Manual Transmission?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I hate autos too but have run across a few that actually do what I want and when I want, those are the exception, not the rule. 200whp from that engine will require a very healthy tune, camshaft and willingness to keep it firmly over 6000rpm. The other option would be forced induction. This had ~105hp at the crankshaft from the factory.

Okay, I understand. So a V8 motorhome is optimal? What do you think about buying an old 454 winnebago & converting it to a chevy crate motor like a 350ci 5.7L fuel injection engine with a strong 5 or 6 speed manual conversion as well? How much are cate motors brand new and the transmission? Thanks
If I had a cream puff winnie, I would go origin!

That said, let's look at your question! The crate motor and tranny are the easy part. New fuel tank, fuel pump, catalytic converters, O2 sensors, Air system, TCM, ECM. Added special programming for the ECM for the new application,key detection and programming!

OR!!!

EFI conversion kit for a 10,000 rebuilt engine, from a major rebuilder,same with the tranny!!!

OR!!!

hydrogen injection kit and fuel cell!!!

Hummm!

What would I do???

Personally I like different, my funds find me giving up a lot of dreaming with a reality check mechanism!!!

I wind up modifying those things I can see and enjoy!

An LS turbo in something as heavy as an RV would be a test to the death. There's just no where for the heat to go vs. an old muscle car. Something like that I would still want to limit to 400whp despite being capable (briefly) of far more. A Tremec T56 magnum or NV4500 would be a dream behind such a powerplant.

I feel like anyone focusing on horsepower in any kind of motorhome is doing it wrong.
Torque. Torque is what you need and want. Small high-revving engines aren't good at making torque. Big slow revving engines are. There are diesel pickups out there that can shred their tires right off the rims and never get over 4000 RPM. The big gas V8 in my motor home doesn't usefully rev past 4000 RPM. It doesn't need to and that's not where the power band is.

I feel like anyone focusing on horsepower in any kind of motorhome is doing it wrong.
Torque. Torque is what you need and want. Small high-revving engines aren't good at making torque. Big slow revving engines are. There are diesel pickups out there that can shred their tires right off the rims and never get over 4000 RPM. The big gas V8 in my motor home doesn't usefully rev past 4000 RPM. It doesn't need to and that's not where the power band is.
So, what you saying? You want a Long stroke engine, with a truck cam, so when you are in the Rockies you're the one that makes it to the top???

Nice!!!

Latest resources

Back