Chassis
F53
Engine
V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
I believe. Do you? I just ordered 6 new Toyos to replace the original Michelins with a 2017 date stamp. They still look great, but the piece of mind was worth it IMO. Not full timing yet and it sits alot. I saved $1K by going with Toyos. I hope I'm not disappointed.
20240510_173938.jpg

@Neal here on the forum just got toyos and is really happy with them. I am sure he will post tomorrow am his thoughts.

Heard a lot of good about Toyos.

After what I learned I would go Toyo's over Michelin. I lost faith in Michelin. I think Toyo's are a more durable "heavier duty" tire. For those stuck with Michelin for fronts I'd go Toyo's on all others in that scenario.

I have Toyo’s as well. They seem to be working well. The tire guy that I used told me that Toyo’s hold up better than Michelin’s against UV damage. The tire compound used for Michelin’s is very good for tire wear and performance, but breaks down a little quicker than Toyo’s and other brands.
He said his recommendation would be to change out Michelin’s every 5 years where Toyo’s could last up to 8 yrs.

After what I learned I would go Toyo's over Michelin. I lost faith in Michelin. I think Toyo's are a more durable "heavier duty" tire. For those stuck with Michelin for fronts I'd go Toyo's on all others in that scenario.
I respectfully disagree. Been a Michelin customer for 30+ years. Never a problem. On the motorhome I have always gone with the 7 year rule even though the Michelin’s have always looked great when changed out. Some trucker probably got a lot of mileage out of my old tires.

I have Toyo’s as well. They seem to be working well. The tire guy that I used told me that Toyo’s hold up better than Michelin’s against UV damage. The tire compound used for Michelin’s is very good for tire wear and performance, but breaks down a little quicker than Toyo’s and other brands.
He said his recommendation would be to change out Michelin’s every 5 years where Toyo’s could last up to 8 yrs.
It's all in the compound!!! This is industry knowledge! I'm not knocking either,as both are great tires. That said,toyos handle uv better, but don't provide the same ride, or traction.

If you need more years toyo wins! If you're like @Neal it's a toss up! If you're a commercial driver Michelin wins.

I respectfully disagree. Been a Michelin customer for 30+ years. Never a problem. On the motorhome I have always gone with the 7 year rule even though the Michelin’s have always looked great when changed out. Some trucker probably got a lot of mileage out of my old tires.
That’s fine. I really don’t know either way. I’m just referencing what the tire shop owner said. It’s all perspective I guess.
Plus he is in the commercial world as well. In the RV arena we don’t abuse our tires as much, keep them clean, put tire dressing on them, cover them up when sitting for a long time undoubtedly helps the tire.

That’s fine. I really don’t know either way. I’m just referencing what the tire shop owner said. It’s all perspective I guess.
Plus he is in the commercial world as well. In the RV arena we don’t abuse our tires as much, keep them clean, put tire dressing on them, cover them up when sitting for a long time undoubtedly helps the tire.
Curiosity! How do you handle the inside tire wall? You know the pressure side! Also, how do you deal with the tread side? Also the wall you aren't looking at.

Friction within the tires produce ozone (what causes tire checking).

So how do RV owners really care for their tires??? Best solution is to buy tires that are designed to give what you are looking for!!!

Curiosity! How do you handle the inside tire wall? You know the pressure side! Also, how do you deal with the tread side? Also the wall you aren't looking at.

Friction within the tires produce ozone (what causes tire checking).

So how do RV owners really care for their tires??? Best solution is to buy tires that are designed to give what you are looking for!!!
Good points..
In the cleaning and protecting I was focused on UV and not Ozone.
I guess the only thing you can do about ozone is to try and reduce friction and that would be to maintain proper tire pressure. I’m not sure what you meant “(what causes tire checking)”?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back