Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Trying to pick the right internet solution and peplink hardware.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have nothing, but my phone hot spot.
However, I have watch a number of reviews on Homefi and it looks interesting.

Now for the 5G part of the discussion. Our phones showing 5G is marketing BS, we're not on the real 5G we were all lead to believe it would be. It's the same as LTE, however, most carriers are upgrading their towers with newer and much smaller 5G antennas and with those comes more bands as I understand it. By having a 5G compatible radio I may not see improved speeds but I may see improved connectivity by being able to connect to bands others aren't on or more modern bands that will give me more stable connectivity.

It's like the old analog cell phones vs. digital. I didn't want to switch, I liked my flip phone way back in the day. But new tech came out and you had to be compatible with what the cell companies were using. As Internet is very important to my mobile office lifestyle, aka RVing, I want to do my best to have the best performing setup I can have and not spend hours fiddling with antennas, band selections, tongue out vs in to all get the best Internet setup so I can actually get down to business and do my work.

My $.02.
This isn't completely accurate. As someone who lives in a rural area, I've known all along that I would never benefit from MM band 5G, but have been waiting for years for low and mid band, as it's faster and longer range (range is frequency dependent, but also based on things like s/n ratio, etc., which leads to how fast your speeds are at a given signal strength).

Saying 5G is no different than LTE, is akin to saying LTE is no faster than 3G. The leap from 3G to LTE was larger than from LTE to 5G, but still low and mid band 5G has many big advantages.

First and simplest, it opens up more spectrum wherever you happen to be. If you are limited to LTE and on a saturated tower, then having a 5G radio might benefit you simply because you can connect to an additional band or bands that you couldn't with only LTE.

Second, it's faster. I've both read about, and done my own testing, on Verizon and ATT, and generally speaking, if I connect to 5G and do a speed test, it's 25-100% faster than connecting to LTE with the same device at the same time. It's not always. There have been times both were the same, but generally, the 5G is faster, and based on what I've read online, this is the general consensus for those that have done side by side comparisons at the same location at the same time.

Third, and finally, C band or mid-band 5G can be significantly faster than LTE.

For RV'rs, we are mostly going to be utilizing low and mid band, and both of them give us significant advantages over just LTE.

On the one hand, I would say that 5G is not simply LTE with a new marketing name, but on the other hand, even with LTE, we saw changes in performance as the category of radio increases, so from that sense, I get the point that might be made about LTE/5G, in that one could argue the gains are similar to what you get moving from a CAT 4 to CAT 12 to CAT 20, etc. radio. As the level of MIMO and other changes improved with the radio categories, so did the performance, so when talking about low band only, you could argue that the increase is like increasing the category of radio, but when talking mid band, we are getting significantly greater speeds, but at shorter distances (always the case with LTE or 5G, the higher the frequency, the shorter the distance).

The good news is even if you don't get a 5G radio, you benefit from 5G, because as towers have been upgraded to have 5G, that's added carriers (bands) to the towers, and in many cases over crowded bands are now more lightly used, as users have switched the 5G bands when getting newer phones and other devices.

Noticed that the only Starlink antenna that uses the Gen 3 router is the kickstand model. The high performance antenna uses the WiFi 5 Gen 2 router.

Latest resources

Back