• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Nitrogen in tires

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
There is some misnomer relating to the use and application of nitrogen in tires. I have been using nitrogen in racing application for decades and it has its benefits. I did not use it in personal vehicles before.

Some 25yrs ago, I had a LF side wall tire blowout on a DP. The unit was only 3 yrs old. The following year had a sidewall blowout in the rear. That prompted me to lookinto the problem. It turns out some service stations do not maintain their compressors very well. Hence, a great deal of moisture is introduced into the tire when adding air. For most vehicles used regularly (daily), this may not be as big an issue. However, in an RV which maybe parked for very many months, it can be a problem.

The moisture collects in the bottom of the tire while parked for long periods of time. Over time, the moisture, like a cancer, eats into the side wall and impacts the sidewall. While driving, eventually, the tire may experience a blow, due to weakened sidewall.

Since that experience, I started using nitrogen and have had no blow outs. When I get a new unit, I do not replace the existing air with nitro. I just use the nitro to set the tire pressure, when needed. So no more moisture is added to the tire. That has worked very well.

In place of the $300 charge the OP has listed, I would consider buying (leasing) a nitrogen tank and just use it to add air when needed. Provided you have a place to store the tank.

It has been so long, I do not remember how much I paid for the original tank. However, the last time I had the tank replaced/refilled, the cost was $54 for a 2500psi, 4 foot tank. That was almost 2 years ago and I have a little less than 1000 pound left in it, so at least another year. There are a number of different outfits that sell/lease nitro tanks and usually ,you cannot interchange one with the other.

I use the tank to set tire pressure for the coach, trailer (tandem axle), car, truck, and even the tractor! So it gets used a lot, but it lasts a long time (3yrs). With a trailer in tow with the coach, the tank stays in the trailer. This option may not be for every one, but it has its utility.

You can zoom on the tire picture for the drive axle and you can see the thread is pretty low. This tire is the original for a unit about 7 yrs old and 75k miles. The coach/drive tire is also towing a 9k# trailer, so a great deal of extra load on the drive tire.

The coach has been outside in its entire life and exposed to temps of -15F all the way up to 100F. Gone x-country every year. A tire properly maintained and pressure set according to corner weight, that tire has a good chance to live its normal long life. The nitro has been an investment well worth its cost.

Attachments

• 20230122_100203.jpg
    20230122_100203.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 22
  • Nitro.jpg
    Nitro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
This Amazon listing is Possibly a good type of tank to carry onboard. I'd like to research the brand more but 6061 T6 aluminum might be a good choice.

6061-T6[edit]​

6061-T6 aluminum standard heat treating process
T6 temper 6061 has been treated to provide the maximum precipitation hardening (and therefore maximum yield strength) for a 6061 aluminum alloy. It has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 290 MPa (42 ksi) and yield strength of at least 240 MPa (35 ksi). More typical values are 310 MPa (45 ksi) and 270 MPa (39 ksi), respectively.[10] This can exceed the yield strength of certain types of stainless steel.[11] In thicknesses of 6.35 mm (0.250 in) or less, it has elongation of 8% or more; in thicker sections, it has elongation of 10%. T651 temper has similar mechanical properties. The typical value for thermal conductivity for 6061-T6 at 25 °C (77 °F) is around 152 W/m K. The fatigue limit under cyclic load is 97 MPa (14 ksi) for 500,000,000 completely reversed cycles using a standard RR Moore test machine and specimen.[12] Note that aluminum does not exhibit a well defined "knee" on its S-N curve, so there is some debate as to how many cycles equates to "infinite life". Also note the actual value of fatigue limit for an application can be dramatically affected by the conventional de-rating factors of loading, gradient, and surface finish.

To much research Joe! Tanks are not typically subject to stress cracks.

As a comparison, steel is least subject to stress cracking and stainless,most likely to succumb to stress cracks, with aluminum in between.

6061 is annealed so it can be formed, but it naturally reverts to a T-6 state with time. A Finished product is 1/3rd the weight of steel, and that difference is not known by me, concerning stainless. I get that stainless is pretty, but would not be my choice.

Now you really have overload!!!

I do have a nitrogen tank like Rd1. Yes I fill everything with nitrogen also. I bought the nitrogen tank where I purchase my propane for my coach. I do not have to make a special trip, for special gas types. Argon, co2, oxygen, acetylene, and nitrogen are sold there with both types of propane, (liquid and gas propane), along with my welding supplies. So it is convenient.

As far as noticing the nitrogen value, I feel like my coach does NOT "rut track" as bad as it used to before nitrogen. Could be me, could the tires are wearing to match the road. It is not expensive if you have a tank of your own, and there is NO moisture going into your tires. This works for me.

Recommendation for regulator for NI tank. Looking to get a light weight tank to refill tires on RV and auto. Probably 20-22 cu ft size tank.
Also looking for light weight wheeled dolly for said tank.

Looking at purchasing new tires for camper, bell tire employee said they don't have nitrogen, is nitrogen in tires worth passing and looking elsewhere? How do I know for shur if they are filled with nitrogen anyway?
Price out the door was 300.00 and tax for 4, 14 inch load range c.
The earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. Nitrogen-filled tires have some small advantages in terms of their thermal properties. I seriously doubt it makes any discernable difference. Save your money and buy some load range D tires. Carlisle is an excellent tire brand specifically for trailer applications.

Joe Hogan, there are light weight foldable dollies. Generally these lighter dollies are for luggage. I do not take my nitrogen tank with me on trips it is the 90 pound tank. A folding luggage dolly would be perfect for a 20lb tank. I use an old oxygen tank regulator. The regulator set has a 4000 primary gauge and and a 200 pound regulator gauge. Fresh and full nitrogen tank will be about 2500 pounds. Make sure the regulator will handle pressure that high. If I would need air the coach has an air tap from the air brake system. The air brake system is dry air.
I do carry an air hose long enough to reach the back tires and the towed vehicle. Sometimes other campers need air also. I rarely ever need to add air on a trip, but do monitor with 10 tire pressure and temperature monitors. I keep the air hose coiled in a five gallon bucket with the quick attach. Also in the bucket there should be an air pressure gauge.

The earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. Nitrogen-filled tires have some small advantages in terms of their thermal properties. I seriously doubt it makes any discernable difference. Save your money and buy some load range D tires. Carlisle is an excellent tire brand specifically for trailer applications.
Finally someone using common sense. No need to waste $$ for the Nitrogen gimmick.

We like the Carlisle tires on the trailer - have performed well.

Regarding nitrogen, my experience, having purchased this trailer 4 years ago with nitrogen in the tires and then a couple years ago changing to NOT using nitrogen - there is a noticeable difference. But this difference has only been seen when traveling through large elevation changes and when seeing 50 to 70 degree F temperature changes.

But - do agree that if someone is usually in the same elevation and always staying in relative same temperature range that there probably won’t be much discernible benefit.

Were there any adverse problems with the tires that didn't have Nitrogen in them? I'm guessing no.
There are a bazillion cars, trucks and trailers out there with just plain old air in them and none of them suffer any ill effects from not having N in them and going through elevation changes.

Latest resources

Back