Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Do you consider showers/restrooms basic amenities? Or 'extras'?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
One of the main reasons we enjoy the motorhome lifestyle for traveling is that we are self-contained. As long as the park has water/sewer/electric hook-ups we are all set. We always use the bathroom/shower/laundry in the motorhome. We try to travel with a full tank of water and empty tanks just in case we get stranded on the road or can't find a park for the night. If the park has a pool or nice clubhouse, we do occasionally use them, but they are not a major factor deciding if we stay there or not. I like to say that when we are in the motorhome and close the front door it is always the same. Only the outside views change.

FLSteve :cool:

We usually stay at gov't parks and sewer is usually not available (except for a dump site), so we always use park facilities, just use our toilet for nightime and first morning pee.
If I had made a reservation at a nice, picturesque, wooded, beautiful campsite then the proprieter put me in a gravel parking lot, I would be livid. Even for an overnight stay, that is false advertising/bait and switch. They should have never taken the reservation to begin with.
Having taken your reservation and found that they had some miscalculations with the capacity, they should have offered the site that they assigned for free with a humble apology and free night in the future.

Look at it this way, if you had booked the beachfront Hilton and they put you in the Motel 6 a mile from the water, would you be happy? Would you pay the Hilton rate?

We usually stay at gov't parks and sewer is usually not available (except for a dump site), so we always use park facilities, just use our toilet for nightime and first morning pee.
If I had made a reservation at a nice, picturesque, wooded, beautiful campsite then the proprieter put me in a gravel parking lot, I would be livid. Even for an overnight stay, that is false advertising/bait and switch. They should have never taken the reservation to begin with.
Having taken your reservation and found that they had some miscalculations with the capacity, they should have offered the site that they assigned for free with a humble apology and free night in the future.

Look at it this way, if you had booked the beachfront Hilton and they put you in the Motel 6 a mile from the water, would you be happy? Would you pay the Hilton rate?
I can look at the website and see they're definitely misrepresenting the park. It's all in camera angles. I admit a strong dislike for west texas ambiance in the east texas piney woods lol

Do you consider showers/restrooms basic amenities? Or 'extras'?​

No! This is the reason we have a 1 ½ bath motorhome with a shower for my 6'-2" body. In my opinion, the park acted in good faith returning your money after you used your electricity, water, and sewer.

I suppose it varies, based on what you expect and what previous campgrounds you have used.

We make a trip to south Texas every summer to go to the Gulf, swim and relax. Most of our camping during the rest of the year is dry camping and/or boondocking so we don't expect much in facilities, but our summer trip nvolves only regular RV campgrounds and shore power because it is hot and we want our air conditioning. On that trip we frequently stay at an El Paso campground that is little more than a large parking lot with shore power and some site lights. At $45 it seems expensive to me (boon docking is free and our dry campsites are usually about $10/night), but it is convenient, the power is good and it is quiet. Getting on the highway the next morning takes about 2 minutes and there is a Camping World store right next to the campground.

There are showers in a trailer-like structure, but little else for $45 but, for us, the convenience, the knowledge that the power is good and the campground is clean and quiet means we stay there on our trip and mostly like it as a decent stop.

As I said, I think it depends upon what you are used to and how convenient it may be for you.

I never stay at a campground with no restroom. Rarely stay where there is no camp store, This is in the $50-$65/ night range.

I never stay at a campground with no restroom. Rarely stay where there is no camp store, This is in the $50-$65/ night range.
No wonder I haven't seen you here before!

Do you consider showers/restrooms basic amenities? Or 'extras'?​

No! This is the reason we have a 1 ½ bath motorhome with a shower for my 6'-2" body. In my opinion, the park acted in good faith returning your money after you used your electricity, water, and sewer.
Yes, I agree. But I was curious and have begun to notice this is more common than I realized. Also, we probably have a smaller setup than yours, so we can enjoy winter camping in state parks with a 35' limit. I would LOVE to half a bath and a half, but I'd not seen one meeting the length restriction. Next one, though!

I suppose it varies, based on what you expect and what previous campgrounds you have used.

We make a trip to south Texas every summer to go to the Gulf, swim and relax. Most of our camping during the rest of the year is dry camping and/or boondocking so we don't expect much in facilities, but our summer trip nvolves only regular RV campgrounds and shore power because it is hot and we want our air conditioning. On that trip we frequently stay at an El Paso campground that is little more than a large parking lot with shore power and some site lights. At $45 it seems expensive to me (boon docking is free and our dry campsites are usually about $10/night), but it is convenient, the power is good and it is quiet. Getting on the highway the next morning takes about 2 minutes and there is a Camping World store right next to the campground.

There are showers in a trailer-like structure, but little else for $45 but, for us, the convenience, the knowledge that the power is good and the campground is clean and quiet means we stay there on our trip and mostly like it as a decent stop.

As I said, I think it depends upon what you are used to and how convenient it may be for you.
Agreed - we've stayed in such. Location is everything.

No wonder I haven't seen you here before!
Sorry, Jim! Always maintained a poop free RV. Cleaning the tanks is almost a pleasure.:cool: RV techs almost love working on my rig.

Latest resources

Back