Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Degnr8

RVF Regular
Hi all. I'm a newbie here. I just bought an Econoline 350 super duty that I'm going to convert and am looking for a trailer. I've been looking into my options for off grid electricity. I notice everything still recommends batteries and inverters, but with solar generators being so much simpler, cheaper, and more compact I'm wondering why. What's the down side to solar generators?

The solar generators that I’ve seen are small by RV standards and wouldn't supply enough power to get even a very efficient RV through the night, and without perfect solar conditions (a rarity) the panels aren’t big enough to make much more power during the day than to just recharge the battery. The solar output claims are under ideal conditions. They list running capacities in the 2000w+ range but the panels that come with them are nowhere near that capability. Since you are building this rig from scratch you can make it as efficient as possible, do you energy calcs, and maybe find a solar generator big enough to suit your needs.

Last edited:
Welcome to RVforums. Enjoy your adventure! I am not in the know on solar generators so I will let the experts comment.

Speaking from my own experience from Jeep camping with a rooftop tent using my Goal Zero Yeti 1000, I can run my Dometic CFX50W fridge/freezer, LED lights and recharge a couple of devises for about a week without recharging. I use two 100 watt folding panels to recharge and usually just plug them both into the Yeti at the start. I can also charge (AC or DC) from the Jeep when driving.

I've seen several Van and Schoolie builds, some more elaborate then others, using different brands of "solar generators" with built in inverters with solar ranging from 200 to 600 watts. These systems can work very well in a small rig. Determining your needs will identify any downside.

There is no free lunch. If you use it you have to recharge it. If you don't have enough solar input, it won't charge as fast as you use it. Usage and recharge rate will determine everything. Its nothing but a battery after all. I suppose the compactness of the package is attractive. As others have said, make sure of you usage and plan accordingly. Don't expect the pie in the sky recharge rates all day, every day.

The solar generators that I’ve seen are small by RV standards and wouldn't supply enough power to get even a very efficient RV through the night, and without perfect solar conditions (a rarity) the panels aren’t big enough to make much more power during the day than to just recharge the battery. The solar output claims are under ideal conditions. They list running capacities in the 2000w+ range but the panels that come with them are nowhere near that capability. Since you are building this rig from scratch you can make it as efficient as possible, do you energy calcs, and maybe find a solar generator big enough to suit your needs.
Thanks

Well, after figuring out my power consumption a solar generator that would meet my needs is ridiculously expensive. I'll go the battery and inverter route, which raises another question. My rig has a 24 volt system and I'd like to recharge from the alternator, so does that mean I need 24 volt house batteries?

Depending on what you are pulling consider going with an electric tow vehicle. Obviously at some point you will have to recharge the battery but you can run a trailer for a LONG time off of an EV trucks battery in a typical dry camp situation. Lots of different variables of course but worth checking into for your situation.

Good luck.

Well, after figuring out my power consumption a solar generator that would meet my needs is ridiculously expensive. I'll go the battery and inverter route, which raises another question. My rig has a 24 volt system and I'd like to recharge from the alternator, so does that mean I need 24 volt house batteries?
Good choice! 24v system you say? That is just premium, and if true you can't do any better. Well OK you can but that would prick my interest. I would be verifying with multi meter.
You can find 24v inverters, almost all MPPT solar controllers will work out of the box! There are less losses in the conversion, smaller wires can be used in the conversion.

Any 12v things like lights and water pumps can be run off of a DC to DC converter.

My system is 24 volt. My lights, well most all my electrics are 115vac with the exception of the water pump.

Depending on what you are pulling consider going with an electric tow vehicle. Obviously at some point you will have to recharge the battery but you can run a trailer for a LONG time off of an EV trucks battery in a typical dry camp situation. Lots of different variables of course but worth checking into for your situation.

Good luck.
And what will that cost if a solar battery is to expensive?

Latest resources

Back