• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Going off grid.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have a tangential question. I keep reading that I need a DC to DC charger. Why can't I just wire the second battery to the alternator? At this point I'm just talking about in the tow vehicle in case that matters like if the issue is current loss over the distance to the trailer
Because!!!
How did you like the answer?

The more technical answer is wire length, resistance, different batteries or age. But assuming you start with identical batteries, at identical age, resistance would be the failure..furthermore the thought all batteries will be replaced at the same time is highly unlikely!! So forward thinking would dictate a plan.

But there's more! DC to DC converters are designed to limit current, and that explanation is the winner!!

Each battery location has the equivalent of an individual battery charger set to battery specifications, so each battery can be charged optimally.

So in summary!

Each bank no matter its location gets personal attention!

Because you can set the load you can protect the alternator.

Because the regulator only sees a load rather than battery charge and the fact that you can protect the alternator from excessive outputs, you can tweak the proformance of the alternator and get the most out of it.

Warning:

The chassis battery still needs protection to keep it from draining.

Hope that answers your questions!!!

Because!!!
How did you like the answer?

The more technical answer is wire length, resistance, different batteries or age. But assuming you start with identical batteries, at identical age, resistance would be the failure..furthermore the thought all batteries will be replaced at the same time is highly unlikely!! So forward thinking would dictate a plan.

But there's more! DC to DC converters are designed to limit current, and that explanation is the winner!!

Each battery location has the equivalent of an individual battery charger set to battery specifications, so each battery can be charged optimally.

So in summary!

Each bank no matter its location gets personal attention!

Because you can set the load you can protect the alternator.

Because the regulator only sees a load rather than battery charge and the fact that you can protect the alternator from excessive outputs, you can tweak the proformance of the alternator and get the most out of it.

Warning:

The chassis battery still needs protection to keep it from draining.

Hope that answers your questions!!!
Very helpful, thank you

I'll just leave this here as a reality check.

Wow! breitbart is just as trustworthy as an information source a fox news. (n)

Was gonna put up the articles but I've put up my opinion more than most can tolerate!!! Love and reality never have been a good mix

Simmer down folks and let's keep on topic and not news, opinions, media, etc.

So, my tow vehicle is 24 volt but the trailer is 12. Could I use one 24-12V to charge batteries in both?

So, my tow vehicle is 24 volt but the trailer is 12. Could I use one 24-12V to charge batteries in both?
Yes you can use a DC to DC converter to charge the house batteries. I would change the running lights and brakes to 24v.

Latest resources

Back