• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Going off grid.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
As I said, a unicorn. These kind of questions are better asked in forums that deal in exotic conversions, like the one I got into to study this a bit. There are people out there that have done some nifty things, but they are like you and live on the edge of what can be done. Not your typical camper people.
I was interested to read the negative views from well informed people on the conversion being done that was very similar to what Degnr8 wants to do. It is doable, it can work, but it requires adjustments to how you live in it and requires constant attention and care. In particular, that guy insisted he was going to us a DC air conditioner and he was told repeatedly it would not work. It simply could not produce enough cooling, even in a small van. We all learn from doing things and finding out for ourselves. Have fun experimenting!
Guess I need to reread this post! I thought he was looking for alternatives for what he had. 24volts is an excellent alternative.

What I do has little to do with living on a edge! I just don't accept status quo as the best alternative. It might be but then!!!

Commercial diesel trucks frequently use 24volt systems. Friend has a Ford one ton it has 2 batteries so it has the cranking amps needed for the diesel in it! Only answer I have for it being 12v is most work will be preformed by auto mechanics. Anyone that was around 6v autos saw the advantages of 12v when the shift occurred.

The reason the Poster should stick with 24volts is because that is the way the rig was set-up. If most of the system was trash, the choice would be open!

For the record I have the 12v system intact, because that makes sense! After he has the solar up and running on 24v he will know the advantages.

Oh yes! I am sure the poster would like to have the link to the forum you found! For that matter you could pass it on to me!!! PM if you like.

In post #7 he said the “rig” has 24 volt system but in post #1 he said its an E350. Never heard of a 24 volt E350.

He said both units were 24 V including his Coleman camper. Never heard of 24v campers either. I have an E350 from 1992, it is a diesel as Kevin described above. I have 2 batteries, but no battery selector switch. The entire ambulance body is 12v. I have the schematics from Horton, the company that built this truck. They mention a Schottky isolator and I cannot find it. There is a large 12v+ cable connecting the 2 batteries but in parallel. I have not tested to see if my starter uses 24v but I don't think so. Also, one of my batteries is smaller then the other and I was taught this is a no-no. And they are made that way from the factory as only a battery of those sizes will fit in the space. That is why I was responding to this post as I was looking for more info myself. Oh, I am old (barely) enough to remember 6 volt systems and that you needed to install a resistor to keep from burning up the points in the distributor. I will try to find that forum again.

You said it was a Coleman Lite, but did not mention the model number. Could you add that so I can look up this unicorn?
The answer turned out to be much simpler than a unicorn trailer, and given the track record one this deal should have been the obvious one for me. The trailer has a 12V system and camping world just gave me the wrong battery

In post #7 he said the “rig” has 24 volt system but in post #1 he said its an E350. Never heard of a 24 volt E350.
It's a bus conversion with a wheelchair lift. All I said was that the charging system was 24v. I'm sure most of it's dropped down to 12

It's a bus conversion with a wheelchair lift. All I said was that the charging system was 24v. I'm sure most of it's dropped down to 12
just trying to understand - sounds like an interesting project

Yes, I agree Rich. As for the wrong battery, I was working on a 5th wheel yesterday and took a picture of the top of the 2 batteries. Both them said 24DC on them. They were 12v batteries. Actually, they measured 5.8v! I do not believe they gave you the wrong battery. SO I went back and looked at the meter you showed and you have selected AC volts not DC volts. So are you doing this intentionally? Just to see what people say? Or how little they know?

Yes, I agree Rich. As for the wrong battery, I was working on a 5th wheel yesterday and took a picture of the top of the 2 batteries. Both them said 24DC on them. They were 12v batteries. Actually, they measured 5.8v! I do not believe they gave you the wrong battery. SO I went back and looked at the meter you showed and you have selected AC volts not DC volts. So are you doing this intentionally? Just to see what people say? Or how little they know?
Good catch on that - I never looked at the picture but even if I had I probably would have missed that. I also think theres probably a fourth possibility.

I still think the 24 refers to battery size and not voltage. Different size batteries in 12 volt also include 27 and 31.

Latest resources

Back