Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Just finished upgrading 2021 NA to three 460ah LI - OMG!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

the_fu

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3543
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
BMF
TOW/TOAD
MINI Cooper S
Fulltimer
No
OMG this is a GREAT upgrade. I never got around to my original solar plan. Life and all that. But it worked out great to wait!

I decided due to advances in the tech that I would swap things around and change over the batteries as phase 1 and add solar as phase 2.

I chose the recently released Epoch 460ah batteries. Three of these link together and fit perfectly in the stock battery tray. These things are amazing - great BMS, linkable, can connect to Victron Cerbo CAN, built in fast acting fuse. And on and on.

The best part is the change over in the battery bay was relatively easy - some additional gear, new battery cables, busses, etc. But phase 1 is done and I am loving having all this juice on hand. Literally tripled my available power storage.

Solar is next - yes, I know, before you smarty pants out there point out the MPPT can only handle 1450w - but I doubt I will be peaking out those panels very often or for very long so its just about perfect.

Here is a rough layout of my new plan - video was shot so look for it on my channel in a few weeks hopefully.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 7.49.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 7.49.22 AM.png
    440.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 7.50.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 7.50.13 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
Nice work. Let us know how you utilize it on your travels and what time you're getting out of it, etc. Fun stuff!

Thanks for the info. I am new here having just bought a 2020 Ventana. I had updated my old coach so I have some questions/comments.

1. I have the Magnum inverter/converter so changing battery settings will be easy
2. We often boondock overnight and travel the next day. We depend upon the Alternator to recharge battery As we travel in prep for the next evening. I am concerned that a 30 AM Orion DC to DC charger is large enough. What has your experience been?
3. Do we have to do anything with the generator charging the correct voltage etc?

FYI-As for as the size of the solar panels and MPPT two things that I am aware of
1. The solar panels will never perform at design levels due to fixed horizontal installation.
2. The solar charge controller is designed to handle up to 20% excess wattage.

For those two reasons I will oversize my panels on my next install (not wires) Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info. I am new here having just bought a 2020 Ventana. I had updated my old coach so I have some questions/comments.

1. I have the Magnum inverter/converter so changing battery settings will be easy
2. We often boondock overnight and travel the next day. We depend upon the Alternator to recharge battery As we travel in prep for the next evening. I am concerned that a 30 AM Orion DC to DC charger is large enough. What has your experience been?
3. Do we have to do anything with the generator charging the correct voltage etc?

FYI-As for as the size of the solar panels and MPPT two things that I am aware of
1. The solar panels will never perform at design levels due to fixed horizontal installation.
2. The solar charge controller is designed to handle up to 20% excess wattage.

For those two reasons I will oversize my panels on my next install (not wires) Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.
2. If you have solar, there will be no issues IMO. If you do not, it would depend on what DC-DC converter and for how long you drive. The new Orion unit is much more efficient and produces 67% more power (50A) with 30%+ less heat and takes up 1/3 the volume of space.

3. With the DC-DC converter, and the internal BMS of my Epoch Batts, everything is managed and balanced.

on solar:
1. This is why I am going with about 1620w of solar on the Victron MPPT that handles 1450. Key is to make sure you series and if necessary series parallel your matrix of panels. I will have three panels in series. This allows me to use the smaller 6AWG factory solar prep wiring that ends up in the inverter bay.

What DC to DC converter are you using?

Did you use the existing wiring for the BIM or change things up?

Did you use the existing wiring for the BIM or change things up?
I am not using a BIM. Will be using a DC-DC converter. Until then, I am not using Alternator charging. When I add the Orion DC-DC, I will use new 4AWG from the Lynx. The alternator connection is now connected to a terminal block I made using one of the crossover bars from the old battery and the old fuse block for the 12v connections. This will enable a scale down to smaller wire from stock to what the Orion can accept.

I used all the stock wiring that comes from the coach - that is - the 12V lead, the inverter lead, alternator lead, all three grounds including the frame ground cables. I of course cleaned them all up and tied them up where necessary. This is why I located the Lynx in the back so they would all reach easily. Physical layout of parts pictured below.

I also used a 2" hole saw at the top of the panel and placed a 2" PVC pipe through it and over the sewer hose compartment and into the inverter bay in order to route all new cables that need to go to Cerbo, MPPT, etc.

For the batteries, and the connection from the Lynx to the new bus, I cut, stripped, crimped, and shrinked all new cables from 4/0 copper welding wire. That was a fun experience to use those tools (giant hydraulic crimper) and learn how to do that. I have the tools and probably enough leftover welding wire to do another conversion if anyone wants to stop by the bay area - I will show you what to do :)

I am still figuring out some of the configuration hurdles with connecting into silverleaf via RV-C and the VE.Can connections - but I think I know the issue there now. Overall this is a fun learning experience and I am confident in the quality of the final work. Next up will be when the Orion DC-DC comes in and also working to get the solar done - engineering the 80/20 rack for the panels will be a hoot I am sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 9.40.34 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 9.40.34 AM.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for all the info. Did or will you unhook the BIM or will it still work? I am thinking of the boost function.

@MarkMaxPayne helped me begin to solve the CanBus mystery. Different pinouts between Xantrex and Cerbo GX. At least now I have the Cerbo GX connected into the coach without it taking my Xantrex data offline going to RV-C. I still cannot seem to get the RV-C Silverleaf to see the Cerbo GX though. And the Cerbo seems to be throwing an error - image attached.

Attachments

• IMG_9052 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9052 Large.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back