Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Just finished upgrading 2021 NA to three 460ah LI - OMG!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have the ms2812 inverter and magnum BMK on top of three 206AH SOK batteries. The BMK consistently shows 30mv less than the SOK BMSs. SOK is known to drift on the SOC number. That needs a full discharge/recharge to recalibrate. I use either voltage and a chart for SOC.

I have not yet been able to get my Cerbo GX Mk2 unit to communicate on/with the RV-C bus, the connected devices on the coach network, and silverleaf. After many different test and trials, I finally was able to connect with Victron and I am going to get another Mk2 as well as the older model to see if possibly something changed in the Mk2 version - or even the possibility of a faulty unit. More to come once I get those and test some more.

OMG this is a GREAT upgrade. I never got around to my original solar plan. Life and all that. But it worked out great to wait!

I decided due to advances in the tech that I would swap things around and change over the batteries as phase 1 and add solar as phase 2.

I chose the recently released Epoch 460ah batteries. Three of these link together and fit perfectly in the stock battery tray. These things are amazing - great BMS, linkable, can connect to Victron Cerbo CAN, built in fast acting fuse. And on and on.

The best part is the change over in the battery bay was relatively easy - some additional gear, new battery cables, busses, etc. But phase 1 is done and I am loving having all this juice on hand. Literally tripled my available power storage.

Solar is next - yes, I know, before you smarty pants out there point out the MPPT can only handle 1450w - but I doubt I will be peaking out those panels very often or for very long so its just about perfect.

Here is a rough layout of my new plan - video was shot so look for it on my channel in a few weeks hopefully.
Sorry! I am a smarty pants!

I never before had this happen!

Due to predictions, I moved early to my summer grounds and got caught in a snow storm!!!

That of course, is not my reason for posting on this thread. I too undersized a controller for my 1000 watt bank. Due to colder weather,my panels were producing 938watts. That Bank is 48volt with 60a controller, so no problem.

However I was mistaken about one of my controller specs on my 12v system. I cut too close to spec and lost one due to the higher output in the cold weather.

In combination with previously cloudy days, cold temps, and very bright sun! As well as no cushion on the specs, I now have a reduced capacity system. Till I get a new controller delivered!!!

Finished up everything and turned my system on to test yesterday. All is well. Next week I will install two soft start units. Going to wait and see if I even need solar.

Attachments

• Batteries.jpg
    Batteries.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • Set UP.jpg
    Set UP.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 15

Due to predictions, I moved early to my summer grounds and got caught in a snow storm!!!

That of course, is not my reason for posting on this thread. I too undersized a controller for my 1000 watt bank. Due to colder weather,my panels were producing 938watts. That Bank is 48volt with 60a controller, so no problem.

However I was mistaken about one of my controller specs on my 12v system. I cut too close to spec and lost one due to the higher output in the cold weather.

In combination with previously cloudy days, cold temps, and very bright sun! As well as no cushion on the specs, I now have a reduced capacity system. Till I get a new controller delivered!!!
Well in this case at least, the Victron MMPT 250/100 charge controller will simply "ignore" any power over 1450W - at least according to the spec sheet and the footnote therein. So basically it will just be a loss of potential energy.

https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...oller-MPPT-250-70-up-to-250-100-VE.Can-EN.pdf

Finished up everything and turned my system on to test yesterday. All is well. Next week I will install two soft start units. Going to wait and see if I even need solar.
Very nice! Let us know how the soft-start install and operation goes - if you do a separate thread on it, please post a link here.

I got 1969 watts out of 1890 watts in panels in New Hampshire one sunny winter day. Initially I wanted to chalk it up to some kind of error but it was due to very cold, very sunny weather.IMG_3097.jpeg

Last edited:
I got 1969 watts out of 1890 watts in panels in New Hampshire one sunny winter day. Initially I wanted to chalk it up to some kind of error but it was due to very cold, very sunny weather.View attachment 23720
Would you please share a picture of the panels on your roof? Thanks

Would you please share a picture of the panels on your roof? Thanks
I don’t have one of the six panels on that rig - it was a 31’ Four Winds class C without a lot other stuff on the roof, so plenty of room for panels. This pic is 5 panels on my 30’ Bay Star - all that would easily fit. I now have the same five panels on my 35’ Ventana. Again, all that will easily fit. Each panel is an LG 315w.

IMG_3407.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back