Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Wendy86

RVF Newbee
Hi, I'm a new member. I had an issue that I wanted to let others know about. We have a Grand Design Imagine 17MKE. It's a 2022 but off warranty. The glass stop top was folded up and I was cooking on front burner. The glass exploded and went everywhere. Huge mess on stove , top and some fell inside. Some pieces went into the bathroom and some all the way to front door. Luckily I was not hurt, just stunned. Of course when I told the extended warranty company, Compass about it: they said I dropped something on it. That was crazy and the photos show differently. When I pressed the issue, they told me I had no glass coverage and directed me to section 17 which pretty much shows I m not covered for hardly anything. I am not happy that RV place sold me on this company (Compass) for my extended warranty. They circled the few exceptions and said it was great coverage. I should have taken the time to read all the fine print. Meanwhile I googled it and others have complained about this. The tempered glass can be faulty when made I guess. I'm mad that I can't get anyone to care about this. But wanted to let others know. I'd much rather have a wood block or steel coverage in the stove.

Sorry you had this happen.

Have read quite a few incidents like this over the years on various forums.

They should just go back to the metal ones like our last coach had.

Hi, I'm a new member. I had an issue that I wanted to let others know about. We have a Grand Design Imagine 17MKE. It's a 2022 but off warranty. The glass stop top was folded up and I was cooking on front burner. The glass exploded and went everywhere. Huge mess on stove , top and some fell inside. Some pieces went into the bathroom and some all the way to front door. Luckily I was not hurt, just stunned. Of course when I told the extended warranty company, Compass about it: they said I dropped something on it. That was crazy and the photos show differently. When I pressed the issue, they told me I had no glass coverage and directed me to section 17 which pretty much shows I m not covered for hardly anything. I am not happy that RV place sold me on this company (Compass) for my extended warranty. They circled the few exceptions and said it was great coverage. I should have taken the time to read all the fine print. Meanwhile I googled it and others have complained about this. The tempered glass can be faulty when made I guess. I'm mad that I can't get anyone to care about this. But wanted to let others know. I'd much rather have a wood block or steel coverage in the stove.
Don't know what you mean. Is this a cover over a gas stove?

Have you called GD to pitch the story and ask if they have had reports about this issue. You can tell them that you Googled the issue and found however many cases. Who knows, they may be able to get you a quote for a replacement or annoy you with 'there's nothing we can do' line. It might be worth a call. I would give you ours.....the other half wants to replace it with a custom fit cutting board she saw online.

One thing about tempered glass is that it does have a tendency to be weakened when it has had something dropped on it. It does not necessarily break right away but it can be weakened by this and break at a later date. I have witnessed this on my our fireplace on my fireplace at home and yes it does make a huge mess.

Latest resources

Back